Friday, July 9, 2010

Fat Quarter Dress






This is a really sweet little dress made for infants. It fits 6-12 lb. babies. It is fast and easy to make, cheap and fun to embellish. You only need 1 fat quarter for the back and the bottom portion for the front. Then you use another scrap of fabric (or you can just go ahead and buy another fat quarter that coordinates, like I did with these) for the top piece in the front. You also need a couple of snaps or buttons for the back. The pattern makes a sleeveless dress, but I think puckered sleeves are so cute on little babies, so I had to add some. You can buy the pattern here. Or you know you can always borrow mine. I added ribbon and rickrack to mine because that is what I had on hand, but of course the possibilities are endless!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. Oh my, these are sweet. My pregnant-with-a-girl self is drooling. But, she'll be born in October so it will be too cold for her to wear something like this (maybe?) and by the time it's summer she'll likely be more than 12 lbs. Dang. I might just want to make one anyway. This is the pattern that you bought at the Quilt Shop here, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are even cuter in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah - good memory! I finally whipped it out and used the fat quarters that I bought at the same time to make them. I really like how they turned out. AND I really wanted to send a few your way, but then remembered the same thing about the time of year she is coming. Darn. But maybe they would be cute with some leg warmers??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, you could always re-size the pattern to make bigger dresses for later, but you might have to use something more than a fat quarter for the fabric. Even still, a yard could yield more than one dress. Always possibilities!

    ReplyDelete