Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Decoupage and such

So I love going to craft stores and looking at the unfinished wood section because it's like a blank canvas, the creative possibilities are endless. The prices are great too, especially if you hit the 50% off sale (which is almost every other week). I needed an extra box around the apartment to keep my growing number of craft supplies in, so I bought this unfinished wooden box for around $4. First I had to unscrew all the hardware so that I wouldn't have to cut the paper any more than necessary. Then I measured and cut out one of my favorite patterned papers to fit all the sides of the box. I used Mod Podge to "decoupage" the paper onto/into the box. You can do this to about ANYTHING. These are a few I found online that I would like to try one day:

-the ceiling!
-plates
-pumpkins to make them scarier
-furniture

You have to be careful with Mod Podge because I found that it will make the paper bubble up if you put on a thick layer. Apply lots of thin layers to make it look good. I've only ever used Mod Podge, so if any of you have used something else with a greater success, let me know!


I have another question now. For some reason I had this HUGE wooden paper clip and I was bored one day, so I decoupaged patterned paper to it. Now I kind of like it, but I have no idea what to do with it. Any ideas? It's about a foot long. Please help me!

5 comments:

  1. I'm in love with this idea. So, maybe I'm not sure what decoupage is but did you apply the mod podge over the paper or underneath? Does that question make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, you can do both. You can just use it as glue, but it's mostly applied on the top for that glossy or matted look (depending on what kind you buy). I applied it under the paper first to keep it in place and then over for the look I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I hope I get to see it for real tonight at the Windows 7 par-tay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of Modge Podge before, but never really seen what it could do - thanks for the lesson.

    As for the giant clothes pin, I've been trying to think of a use and I'm coming up blank! It's so cool-looking though - could you get away with just hanging it on your wall as decoration?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just realized I called it a paper clip...

    ReplyDelete