Saturday, October 3, 2009

for the love

I've always mostly enjoyed cooking and baking, but lately for some reason I LOVE IT. I have been trying a lot of new stuff and that excites me. Last night for dinner I made

homemade tomato basil soup
roasted asparagus
and broiled french bread with lots of butter.

for dessert:
apple crisp (a new recipe)
vanilla icecream

I love the fall. I've been burning a mulled cidar candle. mmmmm.


when you don't have a dishwasher paper plates are the only way to go...

and listen, I know I could have taken better pictures,
but honestly, I was just proud I remembered to take any.
don't judge me.


tomato basil soup


4 cups chopped seeded peeled tomatoes
4 cups tomato juice
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
1 cup milk
1/4 teas. salt
1/4 teas. cracked black pepper
1/2 (4 ouces) 1/3 -less-fat cream cheese, softened
Basil leaves, thinly slice (optional)

1. Bring tomato and juice to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes.
2. Place tomato mixture and 1/3 cup basil in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Return pureed mixture to pan; stir in milk, salt, and pepper. Add the cream cheese, stirring well with a whick, and cook over medium heat until thick (about 5 minutes). Ladle soup into each of 8 bowls; garnish with sliced basil, if desired.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup soup)

4 comments:

  1. Talane! thanks for sharing. It looks delicious - and perfect for the fall. I also love your tablecloth. Where'd you get?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's actually just a place mat I got from Anthropology - I got it on sale of course. I got it in Texas, I'm surprised I never showed you. I got 4 different ones, there's a picture on my other blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, this looks really tasty and joseph loves tomato soup. I just wish it would get cold here in Houston. What kind of tomatoes did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That soup sounds so good. I just made a butternut squash soup that had cream cheese in it - at first I was leary, thinking I would have a soup that tasted like cream cheese, but it just made it rich and creamy. I'll have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete