Friday, September 25, 2009

Pumpkin Bread

I decided that for my first post I'd introduce you to my favorite recipe for pumpkin bread. Actually, it's my only recipe for pumpkin bread, as its a favorite from my childhood and I've never felt the need to seek out another. There's something about the fall that makes me want to bake, and this is almost always the first thing I go for once the weather starts cooling. It's super easy and can be whipped up in no time, even as a busy toddler crawls around the kitchen trying to get himself into trouble. It also makes a really nice little fall gift for neighbors - just wrap it in plastic wrap, tie a fall ribbon around it, and you're good to go! This batch I'm keeping for myself though...


Pumpkin Bread

3 1/2 cups flour
3 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cloves
1 cup oil
4 eggs
2 cups pumpkin (1 small can)
12-oz chocolate chips (optional, but highly recommended!)

Mix dry ingredients. Add oil, eggs, and pumpkin and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Divide evenly among 3 regular size loaf pans. Bake for 55-60 minutes at 350 degrees.

6 comments:

  1. Yum! Last October when I came out to visit you had a loaf or two of this around...so good! I'm glad you posted the recipe b/c I don't think I ever copied it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love quick breads so I have to try this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally making this ASAP! Looks AMAZING!! Reminds me of my fav bread from Great Harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont even have a recipe for this, so I cant wait to try it! I love the flavor of pumpkin desserts this time of year. Thank you for sharing this. My husband will thank you too once I make it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this last night and it is so delicious. I didn't realize that the recipe makes 3 loaves until I had the batter already made up. I had to cram it into 2 loaf pans because that's all I have, but they still turned out great. Thanks again for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same late realization that KRhea did...I put a third of the batter into greased muffin tins and made muffins. They came out of the oven earlier than the loaves, but it all worked out just great!

    ReplyDelete